admissions@gsw.edu 877-871-4594

National Panhellenic Council

Home / Student Life / Greek Life / National Panhellenic Council
The National Pan-Hellenic Council serves as the official coordinating agent of the eight constituent member Greek letter fraternities and sororities in the furtherance of their program unity on the Georgia Southwestern State University campus. The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) AT GSW currently hosts seven active organizations. Nationally, these combined organizations have more than 800,000 members. NPHC is an incorporated, non-profit service organization.

Male Organizations

  • Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
  • Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
  • Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
  • Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.

Female Organizations

  • Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. 
  • Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
  • Sigma Gamma Rho, Inc.
  • Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

Department Contact

Office of Greek Life

Chris Avery, Greek Life & Leadership Coordinator
Student Success Center

229-931-5004
chris.avery@gsw.edu

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., was founded December 4, 1906 at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. Alpha Phi Alpha is the first intercollegiate, Greek letter fraternity established for people of African descent. More than 150,000 men have been initiated into the fraternity since its founding. The fraternity was born out of a desire to promote close association and mutual support among African Americans at the turn of the century. Thanks largely to its seven visionary founders, the fraternity has become one of the most prestigious and influential organizations in the world today. The organization is international with local chapters throughout the United States, District of Columbia, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia, and Africa. Alpha Phi Alpha has been interracial since 1945. The list of Alpha men who have made a tremendous impact on the world include: Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Jesse Owens, Paul Robeson, and many, many more. We, the brothers of the Mu Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. are constantly striving to carry on the legacy.

Nationally Founded: December 4, 1906
Established at GSW: February 6, 1976
Service Project: The Alpha Academy, Alpha Head Start Project, Leadership Development and Citizenship Training, National Mentoring Partnership with Boy Scouts of America and Big Brothers/Big
Colors: Black and Old Gold
Symbol: Sphinx
Flower: Yellow Rose

President: Jeremy Copeland

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. was founded on the campus of Indiana University on January 5, 1911. Originally charted and incorporated Kappa Alpha Nu on April 15, 1911, the name was officially changed to Kappa Alpha Psi on April 15, 1915. The Black-sponsored Greek letter organization on the Indiana campus might well have begun in 1903, but there were too few registrants to assure continuing organization. In that year, a club was formed called Alpha Kappa Nu with the purpose of strengthening the Blacks' voice at the university and in the city of Bloomington. The reason for choosing the Greek letter name is not known, but it is known that the club expired within a short time. There is no record of any similar organization at Indiana until the chartering of Kappa Alpha Nu in 1911. The founders sought a formula that would immediately raise the sights of black collegians stimulating them to reach accomplishments higher than they had imagined. With achievement as its purpose, Kappa Alpha Psi began uniting college men of culture, patriotism and honor in a bond of fraternity. Subsequently, chapters spread in succession to the University of Illinois, the University of Iowa, and Wilberforce University campuses. By 1919, the Kappa Alpha Psi experience had generated serious interest among Black college degree holders to form Alumni Chapters. The Georgia Southwestern State University Lambda Psi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. was chartered and duly adopted on April 29, 1983. The seal of Kappa Alpha Psi was affixed on May 5, 1984. Over the past 20 years, the Lambda Psi Chapter has inducted over 100 men into this historical black fraternity.

Nationally Founded: January 5, 1911
Established at GSW: May 5, 1984
Service Projects: Mentoring at local middle schools, Kappa Alpha Psi Foundation
Colors: Crimson and Cream
Symbol: Diamond
Flower: Red Carnation


President: Keldrick Cochran

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority

In 1908, Alpha Kappa alpha Sorority Inc. became America’s first Greek-letter organization established by Black college women. Her roots date back to Howard University, Washington D.C., where Ethel Hedgeman Lyle of St. Louis, Missouri conceived the ideas for formation. She viewed the Sorority as an instrument for enriching the social and intellectual aspects of college life by providing mental stimulation through interaction with friends and associates. Through the years, however, Alpha Kappa Alpha’s function has become more complex. After her incorporation as a perpetual body in 1913, Alpha Kappa Alpha gradually branched out and became the channel though which selected college-trained women improved the socioeconomic conditions in their city, state, nation, and the world. In a world in which materialism is pervasive and technology and competition have decreased the need for collaboration and cooperation, it is critical to have an association that cuts across racial, international, physical, and social barriers to help individuals and communities develop and maintain constructive relationships with others. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority is that vital organization. Alpha Kappa Alpha is a sisterhood composed of women who have consciously chosen this affiliation as a means of self-fulfillment through volunteer service. Alpha Kappa Alpha cultivates and encourages high scholastic and ethical standards; promotes unity and friendship among college women; alleviates problems concerning girls and women; maintains a progressive interest in college life; and serves all mankind through a nucleus of more that 170,000 women in the United States, the Caribbean, Europe, and Africa. To carry out the purpose of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., out National President has devised creative strategies for action. “THE SPIRIT OF ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA” is the international program theme for 2002-2006. In an attempt to do our part as a service organization, we have targeted five areas of interest: Target I Education, Target II The black Family, Target III Health, Target IV Economics, and Target V The Arts. On February 9, 1980, 12 ladies became the charter members of Nu Zeta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. at Georgia Southwestern State University. The chapter has set high standards both socially and academically at GSW.

Nationally Founded: January 15, 1908
Established at GSW: February 9, 1980
Service Project: Juniorette Program, Juniorette workshop, American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, Fundraising for persons in need
Colors: Salmon Pink and Apple Green
Symbol: Ivy Leaf
Flower: Pink Tea Rose

President: Zaccaria Jordan

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority

At the birth of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. in 1913 at Howard University, the founders envisioned an organization of college women pledged to serious endeavors and community service. These youthful students demonstrated a vital concern for de-emphasizing the social aspect of sorority life. Their ideals have withstood the test of time. Today, Delta Sigma Theta is a public service organization dedicated to a program of sharing membership skills and organizational services in the public interest. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., was founded on January 13, 1913 by 22 undergraduate women. These young women wanted to use their collective strength to promote academic excellence and to provide assistance to persons in need. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., is a private, non-profit organization whose purpose is to provide services and programs to promote human welfare. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., has a membership of over 190,000 predominately African-American, college-educated women. The Sorority currently has 900-plus chapters located in the United States, Japan, Germany, Bermuda, Haiti, Liberia, the Bahamas, the Republic of Korea and the Virgin Islands.

Nationally Founded: 1913
Established at GSW: May 11, 1971
Service Projects: Delta Habitat for Humanity, DST-NAACP, RAP (Read Aloud Please)
Colors: Crimson and Cream
Flower: African Violet

President: Shelby Covin

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority

The Mu Mu Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. was established on the GSW campus on July 5, 1983. The organization was nationally founded January 16, 1920 on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C. by five African American coeds. These women dared to depart from the traditional coalitions for black women and sought to establish a new organization predicated on the precepts of scholarship, service, sisterhood and finer womanhood. The trail blazed by the founders has been traversed by thousands of women dedicated to the emulation of the objectives and ideals of the Sorority. The Sorority was the first Greek letter organization to charter a chapter in Africa (1948); to form adult and youth auxiliary groups, the Amicae, Archonettes, Amicettes, and Pearlettes; and to be constitutionally bound to Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. Zeta’s national and local programs include endowment of its National Educational Foundation; community outreach services; and support of multiple affiliate organizations. Zeta chapters and its auxiliary groups have given countless hours of voluntary service to educate the public, assist youth, provide scholarships, support organized charities, and promote legislation for social and civic change. A nonprofit organization, Zeta Phi Beta is incorporated in Washington, D.C. and in the state of Illinois. The Sorority is supported by the dues and gifts of its members.

Nationally Founded: January 16, 1920
Established at GSW: July 5, 1983
Service Projects: Z-HOPE, Stork’s Nest, The Project Zip, Community Outreach Services, and March of Dimes
Colors: Royal Blue and Pure White
Symbol: Dove
Flower: White Rose


President: Gabi Davis

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. was organized on November 12th, 1922 in Indianapolis, Indiana by Mary Lou Allison Little and six teachers. The charter members are the founders of Sigma Gamma Rho. The group became an incorporated national collegiate sorority on December 30th, 1929, when a charter was granted to the Alpha Chapter at Butler University. The first three years were devoted to organizing. The first call for a national boule (convention) was held in Indianapolis, December 27-29, 1925.

Sigma Gamma Rho's commitment to services is express in its slogan, "Greater Service, Greater Progress." The sorority has a proud history of offering service wherever chapters exist, including Operation Big Book Bag, a program designed to address the needs, challenges and issues that face school-aged children who are educationally at-risk in local homeless shelters and extended care hospitals. The objective is for chapters t provide their local homeless shelters and children's hospitals with education materials, equipment and supplies. Other national projects include Wee Savers, Project Reassurance and The Marrow Donor Program.

The service of Sigma Gamma Rho from a global perspective includes Project Africare and Project Mwanamugimu. Through active participation in programs and through networking with other organizations such as the National Council of Negro Women, Urban League and the NAACP, Sigma's legacy of service to improve the quality of life for all mankind continues.

Nationally Founded: November 12, 1922
Established at GSW: February 29, 1992
Colors: Royal Blue and Gold
Symbol: French Toy Poodle
Flower: Yellow Tea Rose
Service Project: Project Reassurance, Project Wee Savers, Big Book Bags, Program for Africa, Africare, Youth Symposium, National Marrow Donor Program and Mwanamugimu Essay Contest

President: Victoria Harris Ferguson